Sight Regained...!!

Soda Butti...Yeah that is the one word I hated during my school days. I kind of never concentrated on my physique until college. So my specs were selected by my parents, the last persons that one should approach regarding style and fashion. They had selected the specs with the biggest frame. Their argument was that I could see with much more clarity with bigger frame specs.

Once in college, I started giving more importance to my dressing style. And the first thing I had to change was my specs. My cousin is an opthamologist. He came to my rescue with his brilliant idea. Contact Lenses. Without a second thought, I bought one for myself. Easily said than done, I did make a lot of tantrum. I was supposed to hold my eyes from closing and my cousin was supposed to put the lens inside my eyes. I made sure my cousin, dad and mom were next to me, along with a phone (in case of any emergency). With great deal of coaxing from my cousin, finally I allowed him to touch my eyes. It was just a second before I realized what had happened. I felt the alien object resting on my iris. My eyes got irritated with the new object and tears started rolling down. I started shouting "Help, please call a doctor". My cousin did try to convince me that he was right next to me. But I just snapped back "Not you, I want a real doctor". Now that is the problem in having relatives as doctors. We would want to go to some bigger clinic, but they keep insisting that they are the best that could happen to us. Till now I have never shown my eyes to any other doctor than my cousin. And thank God my cousin doesn't know that I blog.

So finally after a big drama, I did get used to the new object. A year passed without any problems, until I saw Aishwarya Rai in a new light. Yeah, her green eyes attracted me a lot. So I thought why not try color lenses for a change. I made my cousin buy green color lenses. I was all set to try it. I wore the lenses and pulled a mirror to check how I look (with obviously great pride in my beauty, flying high in the air). But what a sight? I saw some green eyed ghost staring at me. Wait, no, it was me. Ouch, I fell on the ground with a thud. And that was the last time the color lenses saw daylight. My cousin says it still rests in his clinic untouched.

After around 6 years, constant lens usage starting showing its true color. Once I called my cousin saying I could see two moon(s) in the sky. Another day I called him about a Halo that only I could see behind the TV screen. My cousin was really worried this time. But he never learns from his previous mistakes. This time he came up with another brilliant idea. Laser Surgery!!

At this point I need to tell you something about me. I can NOT bear any physical pain. Once (I was around 10 years old) my dad took me to a clinic for taking a blood test. My dad, the doctor and two physicians were playing hide and seek with me for around 15 minutes. Finally they did get hold of me. But I told them I will show my hands if and only if they moved back a feet away. They obliged immediately (guess they were tired). I took a couple of breaths, and when no one expected it, I took a dash towards the door.

So much for my fear of pain, I did accept for the laser surgery. But I asked my cousin a 1001 questions before accepting. I wonder if he would have answered his exam paper with that much sincerity. So the D day arrived. I was waiting at the clinic with my mom and cousin. One girl who had her laser surgery just then, came out. She was crying and was claiming that it felt like here eyes were being poked with 1000 needles. Can you imagine my shock? I turned towards my cousin, but at that time he had decided to divert his full attention on a telephone directory lying next to him. He was not even bothered to look up at me. I thought for a while if I should go back when my name was called. So now, there was no turning back. I made up my mind, removed my specs (I was not supposed to wear lens 3 days before surgery) and walked with my head held high in the air.

I was made to wear the operation dress and sit in a room just outside the theater. Just then a young doctor walked in. He sat opposite to me. And then suddenly he took his mobile and clicked my photo. I was really shocked for a moment. How can someone take my snap without my permission? I was about to shout when he said "Hey, why are you so tensed?" Aaah, I realized that was my cousin's voice. I exclaimed "Oh...is that you bro?" He was surprised that I could not recognize him. With clenched teeth I replied "I am NOT wearing specs or lens. What else did you expect?". He seemed amused which totally irritated me. I was about to yell at him when the nurse called me in.

I walked in the theater. All that I could see was three cloudy figures and few instruments. One of the technician asked me to lie on a nearby bed. And yeah, I saw a big structure to my right. Deciding that it should be the bed, I moved towards it. Someone pulled me from behind and pushed me towards the actual bed. I lied on it. They fixed some instrument on my head. It was supposed to hold my head tight without any movement. Then they covered my entire body except my eyes. I was not able to move an inch or talk, not even blink an eye. And then the doctor came close to me and asked "Is everything fine with you?". Bulls****... Do I have a choice NOW? Without even waiting for a reply, he applied eye drops on my right eye.

It was supposed to be a local anesthesia. To check if the eye drops worked, they put a small stick inside my eye. Now, I agree I could not feel anything. But I can still SEE. And how the hell will they know if I can feel or not? The one person who came to my mind was my cousin. Damn!! He conveniently hid this from me. I was convinced this was my cousin's revenge on me. And that is why they say to always be in good terms with doctors.

I swore to myself that once the operation was over, I would kill my cousin. But then the next question popped in my mind. My cousin had told that 99.99% of the operations were successful What if I fall under the 0.01% category? What if I lose my sight for good? With that fear, my cousin's image vanished from my mind. Now I could see my mom and dad. And then I saw my dear Hanuman. I started praying 'Oh please God, I don't care even if I wear one big soda butti, let me at least SEE'

Suddenly something caught my attention...a burning smell. May be the theater was on fire, was my first thought. So who will save me now? I frantically tried to move my head, but no, the evil instrument did not allow me to. And all I saw was some different shades of colors and light. I cursed myself for accepting this surgery. May be I should have stayed happy with my lenses? I lost all my hope and left the result to God's will. Yes, I finally gave up.

The operation was over. I tried to protest from doing the operation on my left eye. Let me have sight at least in one eye!! But who listens to me? Finally after another dreadful 5 minutes, I was allowed to leave the operation theater. I came out clutching my cousin's hands. I was made to sit in another room. My cousin asked me to read the letters from a board located few feet away. I blurted out "I can't see anything". My cousin coolly replied "You need to open your eyes first". I opened my eyes are tried to read. Previously I could read up to some 3 rows without specs. Now I was struck at the first row, first letter. I whispered in my cousin's ears "Is that a G?"

I can't imagine how much shocked my cousin was. But I did see a hint of terror in his eyes. He asked me to close and reopen my eyes slowly and try again. Bingo!! I could read upto the 6th row. But I did complain that I could not read the 7th row. Then I was ushered to the waiting room. My mom was anxiously waiting for me. She showed me three of her fingers and asked how much it was. Only when I replied correctly was she convinced. And then she turned to my cousin and asked "Oh...so laser surgery really works huh? Since the trial run is successful, may be I can also try!!!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buzz

Execution

Hit and Run