Me and Android!

Well, I had just got my new Sony Xperia Ray, my first Android mobile.

For the first few days, I almost spoke about only my mobile to everyone, the most vulnerable victim being my mom. She had to endure my ear bleeding sessions of Xperia this and Xperia that. In addition to that, she saw that I almost walked, ate and slept with my Xperia. Fed up, she finally commented that she only remembered the proverb “kurangu kaila kudutha poo maalai” (garland in a monkey’s hand) whenever (and that was all the time) she saw me with my mobile :hide:

Now that I have my mobile, I should try all the new applications that came along, shouldn’t I? I saw this amazing feature (rather, a lazy one, my mom insisted) that I no longer had to type the messages. I just had to speak the messages, and my mobile would sense it for me. How convenient? :thumbsup So, the first FaceBook chat that I had with one of my friends went as follows:

My friend: "Hi Ice"

I held the mike closer to me and say “Hi, How are you”

And my mobile printed: “high who r us”

I shook my head and repeated “Hi, How are you”

And this time my mobile printed: “new york” :confused2:

I stared at my mobile, fought with myself not to lose my patience and repeated “Hi, How are you”

And this time it was: “Hi Jai Ho” :spin

Meanwhile, my mobile was vibrating with notifications. I checked my chat history only to find 3 new messages from that friend asking me why I was avoiding her and not to bother her again. Later, it took me a 30 minutes call to explain her how my mobile was the culprit and not me.

Well, I did later find out what was the actual problem. The default language selected was “English US”, which after being changed to “English India” worked perfectly well.

The next application I tried was “Google Sky Map”. This application would supposedly show the position of various planets, stars, constellations when pointed at sky. I decided to test it immediately. I went to my terrace and pointed my mobile at the sky and started the application. It showed a series of numbers and characters I could barely recognize.

So I thought I should search for a planet. So, I first searched for Mars. My mobile asked me to twist and turn until it finally figured out the location of Mars. I was genuinely pleased with the application.

Next time, I asked it to search for Jupiter. Again after numerous twists and turns, this time my mobile pointed at my foot. :idontgetit: Now obviously I was standing on Earth, so my foot alone could not be on Jupiter. I wondered why the application was behaving crazily.


So the next time I gave an easier one. I searched for the Moon. I could see the Moon with plain eyes towards my right whereas my mobile showed it on my left. :bonk I glared at my mobile wondering if there was any use of that application at all and uninstalled it right away.

Then there was another application which caught my immediate attention. It was the “Mood Scanner”. I had to press my thumb on the mobile screen for a few seconds and the application would tell me in what mood I was exactly. I tried it 3 times in succession.

First time it said that I was “happy and excited”

Second time it said that I was “sad and dejected”

Third time it said that I was “angry and violent”

Now, this was possible only if I was a victim of multiple personality disorder like Vikram from the movie “Anniyan” or Ashley from Sidney Sheldon’s “Tell me your dreams” :crazy

Now don’t you think I stopped experimenting with various Android applications! My thirst will continue until I test all the applications, which would probably never end, owing to the number of android applications that get released every day!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Buzz

Execution

Hit and Run